Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersMichael JohnsonMichael Johnsonmissing fingersmissing fingers
Previous

Next
New Post
1/8/2008 6:48 PM

I just found this site and read this post.

I understand your situation. when I was 17 I had a High School shop accident which left me with a 1/2 pinky finger and a ring finger which is slightly twisted and bent in towards my middle finger, and the end of the same finger I can't straighten out because there is no muscle or tendon to do so. I had at that time been playing for 5 years. That was 47 years ago. since that time I cut my thumb 1/2 off and cut the tip of the index finger in half. All this happened to my left hand and I am right handed, and I play right handed, so as you can tell my fretting hand is rather screwed up. 2 good fingers, 1 slightly bent and twisted finger and a 1/2 pinky finger. about 9 years ago I crushed the end of the middle finger on the same hand. With every accident my guitar playing was stopped for months and once for a few years. BUT I never gave up. Over the years I have worked out ways of playing, in standard tuning, With chords I play 2notes together on one fret that are next each other with one finger, in other words I hold down 2 notes with one finger as long as the 2 notes are side by side. On some chords I have to do what I call cross baring That means with my index finger I bar notes on 2 frets at the same time, I once heard some one call that a knuckle bar chord. There are some, many, chord voicings that I just can't play like every one else does, but there is always another way to get it done. There are many times when you can just play partial chords or "short chords" and these actually sound better for jazz then full 5 or 6 string chords. My 1/2 pinky I can use for quite a few chords but it is no good for any solo playing, for that I have to use just 3 fingers, and I do solo and I can play pretty fast when I want to. No matter where you are on the fret board you CAN make use of open strings too. You WILL still be able to play if you want to bad enough, I am proof of that. I play lead guitar in the paise band at my church and have gotten MANY complements on my playing and most people don't even know my hand is messed up. The other guitar player once made a comment that he would have to cut off a finger to play as good as I do. I play Contemperary Christian, blues , and Jazz music. If I can do it any one can.... Please dont give up playing you just have to find a way that will work for you.

Allen

mud

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersMichael JohnsonMichael Johnsonmissing fingersmissing fingers

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement