Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersMichael JohnsonMichael JohnsonLessons and improvementLessons and improvement
Previous

Next
New Post
3/27/2003 5:19 PM

Hi, I am new to the site and considering lessons but I was wondering is learning to play your favorite song the best way to utilize guitar lessons? I mean I don't want to just rehash a solo note for note, I would want to know and understand what other scales/modes could be played over it and why. Is this something you would cover in your lessons? Or is one of the CD-roms available more appropriate? I have very little theory knowledge. Thanks

New Post
3/28/2003 9:19 AM

Usually the teacher will include the relevant scale or modes along with the lesson. Just let the teacher know what you want.

The private lessons are not cut-and-paste templates (like other web sites). It's more like walking into a music store and selecting a teacher... you have a 1/2 hour, ask him whatever you want. If you don't want a live lesson with the teacher, he will use the 1/2 hour to prepare the material you asked for and sent it to you.

The CD-roms are good too, they cover more general topics. The private lessons are for you if you want specific help.

Thanks for asking! It helps others who are confused also.

Steve Roeder
Riff Interactive

New Post
4/1/2003 2:33 PM

Flathead

Yes, theory is included with each lesson. Learning songs is a good exercise in ear training, understanding how progressions are used, song structures,.... Learning theory gives you the mathematical structure of music. Both of these elements along with practicing often are all important to your development as a musician. I think getting a few CD-ROM covering theory and mixing that up with learning guitar styles is a great way to go. Check out the catalog:

Riff Interactive CD-ROM Catalog

Thanks
Michael J

New Post
5/19/2003 8:26 AM

i'm a total novice,i don't even know a note!!!, help, please

jay-man

New Post
5/19/2003 9:53 AM

We are working on creating some special content specifically for the absolute beginner. In the mean time, we generally recommend that beginners just try a few of the lesson archives and maybe participate in the live lessons also.

You may not understand much of what is being said, but you can always play along with the jam tracks and try some of the licks. The Riff Interactive tools allow you to slow down the licks to whatever speed you need to get it down.

Over time, you will become familiar with the terminology the teacher is using and eventually learn much of the theory. But just keep jammin' on the licks and having fun all the time!

Hope this helps!
Steve Roeder
Riff Interactive

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersMichael JohnsonMichael JohnsonLessons and improvementLessons and improvement

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement