Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersMichael JohnsonMichael Johnsonhow to start to bend stringshow to start to bend strings
Previous

Next
New Post
4/24/2007 9:47 AM

I have a few suggestions that should help:

- consider fitting lighter strings (e.g. Ernie Ball Super Slinkies/Slinkies or similar 007/008) they are much easier to bend when you are starting out. They can be bent to extremes too.

- For acoustic guitar, suggest getting a set of strings with a lighter, non-wound G-string. I used to use electric guitar strings.

- Use the third finger to bend (not always, just usually) and then you can use the second &, possibly even the first, finger to help push up.

- Sometimes it makes sense to bend the G-string down rather than up (I credit Brian Robertson of Thin Lizzy for that tip, its on his "Still in Love with the Blues" video - learnt a lot of unusual, interesting stuff from that).

- for accuracy in your bends (I think some call this "intonation"), if your ear is not yet good, try using one of those cheap $10-$20 Korg chromatic pocket tuners (love 'em, I have 2) to check you hit the right note.

Personally I wouldn't bother with exercise balls & hand strengtheners - just play a lot and everything (ear, technique, strength, memory, knowledge) will improve naturally. If you really feel you must strengthen your hands try rock climbing or finger tip pull ups for effective hand/finger strengthening.

Brian Robertson,Page,Santana,Clapton,King,King,King,Scott Gorham,Berry,Waters,Hendrix,Kossof,Vai

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersMichael JohnsonMichael Johnsonhow to start to bend stringshow to start to bend strings

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement