Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersMichael JohnsonMichael JohnsonQuestion about lessons.Question about lessons.
Previous

Next
New Post
2/10/2003 9:35 AM

I've been reading up on this site and am really excited at the idea.

What I am wondering is can private lessons be tailored towards learning a specific area of a song? If so this is exciting stuff. I'm really looking to dig into Atlanta Rhythm Section's "So Into You", as it was *really played*, and an understanding of the theory or structures used in the song. Also, examining various types of funk rhythm guitar such as Commodores, Stevie Wonder, EWF etc.

And last but not least, would you be the right teacher to dig into some of this stuff? I tried to figure it out by examining a description of the styles you work in, and Classic Rock sounded like ARS to me...

Sean

New Post
2/11/2003 11:59 AM

Sean
What we do is have you send an MP3 file of the song and we can transcribe the music for you. We cover any of the related theory like scales or whatever.

My specialty is rock, funk, blues and acoustic.

Thanks!
Michael J

New Post
2/11/2003 12:19 PM

Mike, sounds good. Logistically how would this be worked? I understand pre-paying online, but would this be something that I take a block of your time (lesson) time out to have you work on? Or would it be in the context of a timed live interactive lesson?

If my schedule cannot mesh with your availability, is there some option that would allow you to recieve or retrieve the Mp3 file, transcribe it, and upload it where I can reach it via archive when I have time?

Finally would the teaching format be Riff Interactive, that is...have the video, jam track, riff broken part-by part as the lessons I've seen here are? Or are they paced slightly differently?

As soon as I understand what order things will work, and whatever prep times you need, I'll be ready to roll with this.

Thanks,

Sean

New Post
2/11/2003 12:47 PM

Sean
You don't have to be at the lesson time, it's the time I spend to make the lesson. Just send me the MP3 file and I'll convert it. For the lesson you get the song transcribed in the Riff Interactive tab and jam tracks included. I usually don't include videos.

Thanks
Michael J

New Post
2/11/2003 4:14 PM

Hi Sean,

These are actually very common questions and I'd like to expand on it for the sake of you and everyone else reading...

"Logistically how would this be worked? I understand pre-paying online, but would this be something that I take a block of your time (lesson) time out to have you work on? Or would it be in the context of a timed live interactive lesson?"

You just need to select some time in the teacher's schedule. If you want the lesson to be live just let the teacher know, otherwise he will just use that time to create the lesson and sent it to you.

"If my schedule cannot mesh with your availability, is there some option that would allow you to recieve or retrieve the Mp3 file, transcribe it, and upload it where I can reach it via archive when I have time?"

Yes, many people request their lessons like this. The private lesson page will show you an example of just such a lesson.

"Finally would the teaching format be Riff Interactive, that is...have the video, jam track, riff broken part-by part as the lessons I've seen here are? Or are they paced slightly differently?"

It's your lesson time and you can request whatever you want... just as if you walked into a music store and took lessons from a teacher. We don't have cut-and-paste lessons like other web sites, but our teachers do have a lot of scales and tabs prepared for all their students. The outline we use in the example lesson above is what most people prefer.

Let us know if you have other questions!

Steve Roeder
Riff Interactive

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersMichael JohnsonMichael JohnsonQuestion about lessons.Question about lessons.

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement