Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienPRS SantanaPRS Santana
Previous

Next
New Post
6/11/2007 3:14 PM

I tried the original double-cut SE and the less orate fancy one (Santana III - I love the more orante II that Carlos used but it would be a bit over the top for me to have all that, and the III I saw was at, in hindsight, a quite reasonable price). Both were good guitars. My sort of guitars -- Les Paul-ish but double cutaways. Both had similar shape and necks.

They had a fairly thick neck, like a Gibson 59 Les Paul neck. I have seen the SEs on sales as cheap as $299 (when new models were coming out - I preferred the look of the earlier models)a few years ago, $399 was pretty easy to find. (In the UK they are twice the price - obscene.) I almost got a black SE at that price - but in truth really didn't need another guitar. The finish of the cheaper guitars is good but rather bland and uninspiring compared to the expensive model (as you might expect).

I plugged the Santana III into a Boogie in the store (can't recall which model), it sounded & felt awesone. ALthough when I tried it again the following week it was good but didn't have the same magic -- perhaps it was just me or the settings had changed. The III had the build quality and feel of a good Les Paul. I think the headstock makes it feel perhaps a little shorter(?), which I liked.   For both guitars, I didn't use the tremelo - but think about it: a really good Les Paul, with a really good tremelo and double cut-away...sounds like a winning combination to me.

The soapbar looks like a good bet. Seems like a lot of serious guitarist like to own a soapbar equipped guitar but for most its not their first (nor second I suspect) guitar, so they are willing to try a cheaper model. I tried a soap bar guitar once and liked it - like a thicker-sounding, powerful single coil or trebly humbucker? Another option that I like the sound of: mini-humbuckers, as used on the Gibson Les Paul Deluxe -- can't believe they aren't more popular, they sound great to me (v. similar to Les Paul Standard pick up - pre-BurstBucker). I think its just a fashion thing.

If you love the Les Paul shape (its grown on me over the years), there is the Mark Tremonti model too.

Brian Robertson,Page,Santana,Clapton,King,King,King,Scott Gorham,Berry,Waters,Hendrix,Kossof,Vai

New Post
6/12/2007 9:33 AM

I have a SE Soapbar II. (non maple) That is a great guitar.

MIM Tele
Washburn I64

New Post
1/20/2009 7:19 PM

Santana has played various PRS Models over the years, as he develops the guitar along with his style. I've posted a history here:

Santana s Paul Reed Smith Guitars

From which you can also get to detailed descriptions of all the Paul Reed Smith Santana guitars, as well as a spec sheet comparing the specs of all the models. If I've missed anything, please let me know! :)

New Post
3/24/2009 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SantanaMan405 on 20�January�2009
Santana has played various PRS Models over the years, as he develops the guitar along with his style. I've posted a history here:

WHOOPS! Link was messed up. Here it is:

Santana Paul Reed Smith Guitars

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienPRS SantanaPRS Santana

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement