Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienWhat Do You Want To Learn?What Do You Want To Learn?
Previous

Next
New Post
3/6/2006 11:53 AM

Just heard Tommy Emmanuel in person. Maybe the world's best acoustic player. Would like to learn finger picking, takes incredible coordination. You play two or more parts at one time...on a guitar! Maybe this forum is to hip for finger picking. But if you heard Tommy play you might change your mind.

Don't feel as good if a few days go by without guitar playin.'

New Post
1/20/2009 4:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by punkin on 10 May 2003
One more item...it seems everyone is in the persuit of speed (myself included). How about some speed development techniques? I find that the left hand isn't the biggest hang up...it's my right (picking) hand that seems to be the problem especially when transitioning from string to string.

Interesting question. As an ex-speed demon myself (used to play a lot of DiMeola and Mahavishnu Orchestra), I can say that two things helped with my right hand technique.

1) REALLY learn timing. That means understanding quarter, sixteenth, thirty-second notes, etc. As well as triplets, tied-over patterns, and the like. Getting a solid understanding of and feel for the rhythm you're going to be playing will help your brain and hands communicate with each other.

2) Learning strict up and down picking technique. With some riffs, it's tempting to break those rules, because in the beginning they're easier to play. But following strict up and down protocol (even when skipping strings) really helps with fast, clean patterns.

If you're interested in Santana (my current tribute band), check out my site:

Santana Albums, Songs, Guitar Info and More

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienWhat Do You Want To Learn?What Do You Want To Learn?

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement