Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienLyle rocks and so can ULyle rocks and so can U
Previous

Next
New Post
4/15/2004 7:55 AM

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I've read a few post, and wanted to give my 2 cents. I've been playing since I was around 10, now I'm 40. Even though you might think I would be pretty good, I'm just OK. Nothing like Lyle! I also wanted to say that everyone doesn't need to play 9 million miles and hour to sound good. I recently went to the Guitar centers (Guitarmeggadon) here in Fredericksburg, VA, and the kid who won the in-store competition didn't play nearly as fast as some of the other players. He won because when he played, you felt the sound inside, he had a lot soul in his particular style of playing. Play with what's inside of you, and most of all, have fun doing it?
Out>>>>

www.geocities.com/williamcordle/index.html

New Post
4/15/2004 8:06 AM

Thanks! You're right, it's not just how fast you can play, it's all about what and how you play.

This may be an bad example or analogy but most of the biggest songs of all time have been slow ballads. Soulful, bluesy, and heartfelt music. The

I like to play a slow blues style and I also like to see how fast I can play. It's all fun.

New Post
4/15/2004 8:17 AM

I noticed players get intimidated when these speed demons played (myself included--a litle), so I wanted to point out that fact, unlike race car driving, speed is not always the most important factor in winning!
Thanks Lyle and it's a pleasure to visit your site!
Out>>>>

www.geocities.com/williamcordle/index.html

New Post
12/21/2005 5:49 PM

Agreed,Speed is not the end all and be all of guitar playing.

In fact, this guy I know who is an incredibly fast guitar player came to jam with us one night.. He sounded cool while he played alone but when the rest of us kicked in he sounded like crap because his timing and phrasing was out of whack.

It was as if he learned from tab and didn't bother to play along with the song for the proper timing and phrasing practice.

As fast/talented as he is, he will never be invited to play with us again.

However, speed is fun to improve your skill and exceed personal goals.

New Post
12/23/2005 8:24 AM

"Speed is the byproduct of accuracy" - Howard Roberts

"The fastest car doesn't always win the race" - unknown

"Even though a simple melody may be better than a fast riff, it's still fun to play fast!" - Lyle R.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienLyle rocks and so can ULyle rocks and so can U

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement