Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle Ronglienguitar tonesguitar tones
Previous

Next
New Post
5/29/2005 5:52 PM

Hey im new here.....I have a Ibanez Lawsuit Les Paul copy...i like a wide variety of music....i have had a great deal of trouble hooking up that "Honkey" sound from the song Limelight by rush.....I have a roland Cube 100 and a Kalamazoo reverbe 12 amp along with a boss DS-1 and a SD-1 i was inquiring if anybody could tell me how to achieve that tone with my current gear.....THX

Lawsuit Ibanez

New Post
5/31/2005 2:43 PM

Use the bridge pickup on full. Have your amp at 50% over drive. NO EFFECTS. Start from there.

New Post
6/3/2005 5:28 AM

As far as achieving an exact tone for a particular cover song, I gave that up 10 years ago.(Been playing Lead guitar/nothing but Classsic Rock for 20 years) I found that unless playing for an exacting cover band, it's best to acheive your own tone with variations for different song types. I've exclusively played both a Strat snd a Les Paul the whole time. I started with a Garnet open back 40 watt bass amplifier in the early eighties and got sucked into the solid state era and went with a 65 watt Peavey studio pro - it was a series of futile experimenting with various effects for the next 10 years trying desparately to fine the sound I could be satisfied with - solid state sucks...
Then 10 years ago I got lucky and played thru a old Fender Champ (low wattage single ended class A tube amp) at a friends place. This was the first time I could remember actually experiencing "Tone", but how to achieve volumes for gigs.

After some experimenting (not near as much as before), I aquired a 1978 Hiwatt Custom 100 head and built a open backed cabinet with 2 12" 75 watt scorpian drivers. I definitely achieved the killer volume needed and this amp will "break-up" nicely at excrusiating dbs but leaves no variation for different songs. I soon discovered Tonebone's Classic preamp tube driver and my problems were solved. With this setup I use absolutlely no effects (not even reverb, the Hiwatt doesn't have), all the variations I need is coming from guitar/pickup/tone selection and enabling the tonebone or not and of course pick attack.

I recently got lucky and picked up a 1967 2 watt single ended tube amplifier for $65. It actually can drive the cabinet I built to volumes I've actually rehearsed with.
The perfect practice amp with the Tone that the little Fender Champ showed me in the first place.
Bottom Line - looking for tone - find your own.
            - a means to your end - try a "Single End"

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle Ronglienguitar tonesguitar tones

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement