Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienRecomended starting ageRecomended starting age
Previous

Next
New Post
11/23/2005 6:06 AM

At what age do you think would be good to start learning guitar? I want my youngest ( 5 ) to start playing jazz/country/blues guitar.
I tried to teach my older kids which was a bad idea they don't seem to listen to Dad's, and also they were teens and had better things to do. Now they are mad that I didnt start them earlier.

New Post
11/29/2005 1:08 AM

My advice would be to give them a simple-to-play electric guitar instead of an acoustic. My parents gave me an acoustic and it was too difficult to play when I was 5. I had a guitar teacher and his electric was much easier to play, but my parents didn't want to buy me yet another guitar when I wouldn't play my acoustic.

I didn't start playing again until I was 18.

New Post
11/29/2005 5:58 AM

I was thinking of the 3/4 strat. But at 5 do you think he will learn or just pick up bad habbits??

New Post
11/29/2005 6:42 AM

I think it's good to introduce kids to different musical instruments at a young age. Let them pretend to play and explore the sounds each instrument makes. Pretty tough to teach a 5 year old how to play guitar. Kids around 8 to 10 are at the right age to start. My kids both had guitars when they were 5, but I didn't try to teach them much on it, only how to copy me and to pretend to play along with me. I would tune them in open tunings and they would stum open. Then they would learn to stum a rhythm and make up words.

Here's a video example of my youngest daughter jamming away:
Hannah Sings Sweet Emotion

New Post
11/29/2005 7:08 AM

Thanks for your input. I'll take your advise.

Thanks

BTW your daughter is a cutie.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienRecomended starting ageRecomended starting age

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement