Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienBad Habits - Good HabitsBad Habits - Good Habits
Previous

Next
New Post
7/15/2006 4:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

I thought of this topic because a lot of new guitar players have really no idea what they should be doing and in what order.

With no one to correct bad habits, the player never gets any better, can't finish a single song or just can't stay in time or play smoothly.

If I described any of you in the above paragraph, then this thread is for you. I'm hoping the advanced guitar players in this forum will actively participate so the only advice you receive will be good advice.

Anyone want to start?

What is the first thing a new guitar player should be playing when he first picks up his guitar?

What should he know about guitars before he buys one?

Acoustic? Electric?

Quality vs Economy?

New Post
7/18/2006 4:19 PM

Ok,

I guess I'll start. I was hoping for more interaction from the better players here.

To get better at guitar you MUST practice LOTS., there is no way around this. You can skip the chromatic pattern training if you want, but the result will likely be mediocre playing as opposed to amazing playing. At the very least, the result of skipping this will cause you to NEVER become a good shredder, if that's your goal.

There are likely exceptions to every rule, but don't let your ego get in the way of success. If you think this type of training is a waste of time you are likey one of the people who thinks he is better than he actually is.

All I really know for sure is that this is the type of training I need and have seen the most results from. All the BEST players support this training.

So, having gotten my personal opinions out of the way what you need to do first, even before you pick up your guitar is to determine how much time you have available to play.

Lets pretend you came up with only 1 hour available.

Divide that time in half.

For the first half hour, practice your patterns and scales to a metronome.

For the second half hour play along with your favorite songs and backing tracks.

Also, try to learn one new lick every day and incorporate it into your playing/practice. All the chromatic training WILL improve your ability, technique and speed, but without a vocabulary you will not be able to get your point across to your listeners.

If one new lick a day is too much for your current abilities, then I'll compromise and suggest one a week, which still works out to 52 new licks a year, which is pretty good for a beginner, especially since you can play it in every scale you know. Those 52 licks can now be played all over the fretboard.

Make this routine a habit and avoid excuses not to practice.

New Post
7/18/2006 5:55 PM

Good advice Kracker.

My first suggestion is to Not practice your bad habits. Play new stuff all the time. Learn and practice something new. Make that a good habit of learning something new. Even something small like a new chord voicing, or arpeggio, or scale. It all adds up.

New Post
7/19/2006 12:36 PM

Lyle,

Could you list some bad habits that beginner guitarist could fall into?

New Post
7/22/2006 6:40 AM

A few bad habits:

1. Playing the same thing all the time.
2. Being lazy and not trying to learn new things.
3. Not learning different styles of music.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienBad Habits - Good HabitsBad Habits - Good Habits

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement