Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienFender Amp Replacement TubesFender Amp Replacement Tubes
Previous

Next
New Post
10/24/2006 6:11 AM

Lyle, this is what the tube store said about the tubes you said were good tubes. Now I'm not trying to knock you or anything but please don't tell me what are good tubes and what are not. It seems to me its some kind of a thing like well I know how to get a good tone and I had to do it on my on why should I tell this dude let him find it on his on. I been playing for 3 years and I've had the hardest time with this tone thing. You ask someone about playing chords they will be glad to tell you but just ask someone about playing lead & tone and its a different story. This has been my experience anyway but I'm gonna keep pushing on and to hell with the people that don't want to share. This is what the Tube store said about the tubes you said were good. I hope this don't make you mad but if it does get over it.                                                    Hi Tommy,

The GT 6L6B is not a great tube. It's just a relabeled (and overpriced) Sovtek 5881WXT.

The vast majority of our customers with this amp upgrade to Winged "C" 6L6GC power tubes for a warm, smooth, vintage tone. In the preamp section the Tungsol 12AX7 is fantastic and again will be a huge improvement.
http://thetubestore.com/6l6gc.html
http://thetubestore.com/tungsol12ax7.html

jon@thetubestore.com

Tommy

New Post
11/2/2006 6:07 AM

Have you tried your guitar through several different amps? Maybe that would help.
If you think different tubes will help you get the tone you want, go for it. It's only money, and you'll learn something along the way.
I've been playing for over 30 years, on many different guitars and amps. I've had custom mods done to my amps and my guitars. Each guitar sounds different on each amp. Depending on what tone I'm looking for I'll choose that guitar and use that amp to get it.
The other thing is, I can get a good tone out of a cheap stock guitar plugged into a cheap tube or solid state amp. It might not be my favorite tone in the world, but I can squeeze a good tone from it...most of the time. Good tone starts from the soul and then the fingers. Can't buy that.
A true story I've read several times: Eddie Van Halen known for a killer tone, "the Brown Sound" was out on tour in the early days and Ted Nugent was the opening act. During sound check Ted asked if he could try Eddie's guitar through Eddie's amp set up. Ted still sounded like Ted even though he was playing through a custom guitar and amp setup designed by Eddie for Eddie.

New Post
11/2/2006 8:44 AM

Lyle, sorry about the response I know it sounded bad but if you can remember back to your 2nd or 3rd year of playing how frustrating it can be but like I said I've had had a lot of false info given to me, not from you but others that really just try a lead you the wrong way because they had to learn it on their on so why should they help. Your right and I'm wrong and I need to just calm down and in a few more years the experience of just practicing and playing the tone thing will come to me. Thanks

Tommy

New Post
11/2/2006 10:48 AM

Sometimes I like my tone, sometimes I don't. Ask any veteran semi-pro guitar how many different amps and effects they've owned and sold over the years in search of "their tone". I've spent so much $ trying to find the right tone for me. Just when I think I have the right combination of amp, speakers, guitar, wood, pickups, effects, I'll try something new and like that better.
Sometimes my custom modified, and very well taken care of, 1977 Marshall 50watt that has been with me for over 35 years sounds like heaven, sometimes it sounds like a bunch of thin buzzing.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienFender Amp Replacement TubesFender Amp Replacement Tubes

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement