Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienAngling pick on alternate pickingAngling pick on alternate picking
Previous

Next
New Post
2/17/2003 12:25 PM

In reading the speed exercises, I notice you stress the usage of angling the pick when alternate picking. For the few years I have been playing I always played parallel to the string. Do you think I should continue with this method, or essentially start over and learn to angle the pick?

Also, when I do angle the pick , it just seems to "glide" off the strings. Is that what's supposed to happen?
Thanks

New Post
2/17/2003 7:54 PM

If you think it helps you to play faster when slightly angling the pick, then keep at it. Yes, the pick should glide better back and forth over the string. You don't need to angle it very much. You should notice a difference between the pick parallel and angled.

New Post
2/18/2003 2:21 AM

Yes, I certainly notice a difference when the pick is angled. I have been practicing this method for a few hours and notice a speed improvement.

Not only a speed improvement, but a "smoother" sound(tone) if you know what I mean.

At first , I thought the "scraping" noise of the pick gliding off the strings was going to be a problem, but I kind of like it.

New Post
2/23/2003 3:05 AM

Lyle, is angling the pick the technique I should use for tremelo picking such as Syd Barrett uses in Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine? I have been a drummer for close to twenty years and I have been applyin similar techniques used to get faster with drum rudiments (starting slow and going a little faster each day). This is what I should be doing, right?

Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker|Mexican Made Squier Strat by Fender for Slide|3 Acoustics|Digitech RPX400 Modeling Processor/Effects|2 Marshal Amps
Rob

New Post
2/24/2003 9:32 PM

Rob,

I haven't heard that song in a long time so I don't remember what his riff sounds like. Yes, angle your pick slightly and pick hard and precise, make each note the same volume except your accent beat. Example: You're playing 16th notes, accent the downbeats.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienAngling pick on alternate pickingAngling pick on alternate picking

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement