Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienStretchesStretches
Previous

Next
New Post
5/14/2003 12:39 AM

I have a problem when standing up and playing stretches of 5 notes, when I'm doing a 3 note per scale run, say.

Sitting down it is not a problem I can move my thumb behind the neck, but with a strap on I have to flex my body in a position to enable me to get my thumb behind the neck to play with the 5 note stretch.

I know some people shorten their straps, or tilt the neck towards them to go the distance but so far I havent found a technique that enables me to do this where I feel comfortable, more or less graceful.

Any Suggestions?

"If you dont mind me saying, you have a lovely house"

New Post
5/14/2003 4:35 AM

Practise is really the answer. You just need to practise standing. I read an article about Korn when they started using 7-string guitars (with an obviously wider neck). They practised, came out of the studio, and hit the rehersals for the tour. It turns out they played seated te whole time they were recording and couldn't easily get the hang of it. One of the guys compensated by leaning over. As the tour progressed, he found he cold play standing in a regular way, but he decided he liked the effect of bending over instead.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that it only takes practise.

Ebony 2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard | Guild F4CE Acoustic | BOSS GT-6 | No Amp!

New Post
5/14/2003 5:14 AM

Can you do this standing up? Hold down all four fingers:

New Post
5/15/2003 12:37 AM

Yes I can do that standing up. I have to put my thumb half way down the neck and arch my wrist.

"If you dont mind me saying, you have a lovely house"

New Post
5/15/2003 5:19 AM

Good, that's the wrist position you'll need for those hard to reach chords and riffs.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersLyle RonglienLyle RonglienStretchesStretches

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement