Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityDigital Delay timingDigital Delay timing
Previous

Next
New Post
7/28/2007 12:41 PM

I remember reading a mathematical formula for digital delay timing on one of the group lessons. I looked for it but couldn't remember what lesson it was from. Can anyone repost the formula here?

tia
craven

New Post
9/24/2007 11:46 AM

Hi Craven,

I think Lyle and Michael have both given demonstrations for digital delay timing, but I'm not sure exactly where either.

If you go to our lesson archives link, or the catalog link, you can search the archives for words in the archives. To search for the exact phrase "digital delay", use quote marks in the search box like so:
"digital delay"

Steve Roeder
Riff Interactive

New Post
9/26/2007 8:31 AM

One of the guys in Guitar Technique magazine (Stuart Bull?) described a formula. You could look at back copies or email them. It seems a bit excessive setting your delay for each song's bpm rate though - although no doubt very musical sounding. I've heard of several top rock players that just choose a setting and leave it there (e.g. 320ms).

Maybe they use something like this:
wavelength = 1/frequency

e.g. if the beat of song a is 120 beats per minute, convert that to beats per second (x60) = 2 beats per sec

Then, presumably, using the formula above, set the delay to 1/2 bps seconds = 500ms ... seems a bit long to me for a fairly fast bear.

i.e. delay = 1/(beats per minute x 60)

(I think the GT magazine's formula was not as simple as this though).

Brian Robertson,Page,Santana,Clapton,King,King,King,Scott Gorham,Berry,Waters,Hendrix,Kossof,Vai

New Post
10/23/2007 10:58 AM

Oops, corrected text below
Quote: ...
Maybe they use something like this:
wavelength = 1/frequency

e.g. if the beat of song a is 120 beats per minute, convert that to beats per second (divide by 60) = 2 beats per sec

Then, presumably, using the formula above, set the delay to 1/2 bps seconds = 500ms ... seems a bit long to me for a fairly fast bear.

i.e. delay (ms) = 60,000/(beats per minute)

HOWEVER, check out this link for the reason not to use the above formula (clashing notes): http://www.artemismusic.com

You might also find this interesting: http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/ddl_cascade/

Both articles suggest: the above delay x 3/4
i.e.:
delay (msec) = 45,000/bpm

Brian Robertson,Page,Santana,Clapton,King,King,King,Scott Gorham,Berry,Waters,Hendrix,Kossof,Vai

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityDigital Delay timingDigital Delay timing

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement