Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityperpetually out of tune guitarperpetually out of tune guitar
Previous

Next
New Post
11/25/2002 1:40 PM

I don't know the make of my acoustic guitar other than it's a yamaha, but it isn't important. What is important that on the high b and e strings, the higher you go up the fretboard, the more flat the strings get. If I tune the opens, then the highs are out of tune, and if I tune it to high notes, then the open strings are out of tune(just for those 2 strings). It's gotten so bad on the e string that the 13th fret is an octave above open instead of the 12th. It's hitting the right fret, it just progressively gets out of tune as you go up, and at the 13th fret, it's a whole half step off. Any advice?

New Post
11/25/2002 1:50 PM

Your neck is probably screwed up. It's either concave or conviex. I had similar problems on my Ibanez acoustic and I just had someone adjust the trust rod.

New Post
3/6/2003 3:28 AM

If you play more than just casually, and especially if you play in public, you may want to consider investing in a better guitar. I used to have a yamaha that cost me about $300- it was okay as a starter instrument to learn the basics but it couldn't hold a tune and the action was terrible!

I moved up to a Martin DC16-GTE (dreadnaught w/cutaway, gloss top and electric/acoustic). It cost me around a grand, but it is a great instrument for an intermediate player and it sounds good either plugged in or by itself.

Save up your pennies and shop around- it is definitely worth it if you are serious about improving your guitar skills and playing in public. I don't know- does Yamaha make a guitar that can match up to a good Martin or even a Takamime? I know that Taylor is sort of the Holy Grail of acoustics, but what else could this guy look at that would be an improvement from his Yamaha without breaking the bank?? Best wishes!

Peace,

John

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityperpetually out of tune guitarperpetually out of tune guitar

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement