Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityYet another dumb theory question..:PYet another dumb theory question..:P
Previous

Next
New Post
3/27/2003 5:06 PM

Yeah, I'm just full of em...or full of something ;)
So, my question is this....

If you follow the Major modes down the major scale, you end up able to as a general rule, play chords in the following order.

Major, Minor, Minor, Major, Major, Minor, Diminished.

Question 1 is then, if you play relative Minor (6th mode, does the order follow? As Minor, Diminished, Major, Minor, Minor, Major, Major?

Question 2 is...well, to diminish a basic 1, 3, 5 triad...if I'm not mistaken, which I may be...you flat the 3rd and the 5th. A 'power chord' or perfect fifth is the root plus a natural fifth....can you use a power chord to replace the diminished chord and still be in the key, so to speak? I see people doing that a lot and I'm just wondering from a theory point of view if one can do that...and if so, how does it work out?

I hope I didn't flub up everything I just said ;P
Thanks!
Jalle

New Post
3/27/2003 7:27 PM

Question 1 answer - Yes.
Question 2 answer - No, flat the 5th to be in key.

New Post
3/28/2003 10:48 AM

Thanks Lyle, :)
Not to further the point...but so, when people like...Metallica, Megadeth...etc...play off in E relative minor...and throw in an F# power chord, they're moving temporarily out of key, yes?
I know that's perfectly ok, on a song by song basis...I'm just talking pure theory wise..
Thanks again!
Jalle

New Post
3/28/2003 11:40 AM

I'd say yes, because of the C# note which is the 5th in the F# power chord.

New Post
3/29/2003 11:31 AM

Cool, I guess they just do it for the evil sound. I mean...who cares if a solo sounds slightly dissonant for like half a second, when it comes to heavy metal, eh?
Thanks again, Lyle.
Jalle

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityYet another dumb theory question..:PYet another dumb theory question..:P

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement