Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunitycool leads in different keyscool leads in different keys
Previous
 
Next
New Post
7/5/2004 10:52 AM
 
Hi I have been playing guitar for about a year now. I was playing a rhythm with a guy and he asked me what key it was in I told. Him and he played a cool lead. I want to get in to leading so I got a book called Total Scales Techniques and Applications. Its a good book, but I have a few Questions.
Is leading all about knowing what key the song is played in and playing the scale that matches? I know the natural scale a few different ways of playing them like increments of two and playing two strings and back one note. I like the book I have, but its mainly scales. I want to find a book that has some cool sounding leads in different keys and writtan in tab.

Thanks for any help.
 
New Post
7/5/2004 1:26 PM
 
I suggest you check out the Riff Interactive CD-ROMs titled:

Blues Solo Riffs,
Jam Sessions - Rock Style,
Jam Sessions - Funk Style,
Jam Sessions - Smooth Jazz Style.

Each of these lesson CD-ROMs are filled with cool sounding leads, the scales used, a jam track, light theory, and the chords used for each jam. Check them out and let me know if you have any questions. I think these will be exactly what you're looking for.
 
New Post
7/29/2004 8:14 AM
 
Hello, Playing lead is 90% playing in a specific key. The other 10% is variations of that rule. If someone is playing in the key of C, you can use the natural scale to solo over the progression. If someone is playing in the key of D, you would have to change to the D scale. In the back of Total Scales Techniques and Applications you will find the major/minor scale written out in every Key. I would suggest you learn one position at a time for each key. That way you'll be able to jam in any key when the opportunity arises.
When you get comfortable with the scale in every key, you'll be able to experiment with key changes. For example: If you are jamming in the key of C, using the C,F, & G chords: You can change the key to match the chord changes. A more advanced application of scales would be common notes. In the same chord progression, C,F,G, you can play the Bb scale over the F chord because the two share common notes. Likewise, you can play the D scale over the G chord because they share common notes.
Again, my advise is to first learn 1 position in each key. And always remember where your major and minor root notes are. And, re-read the Intro To Soloing on page 13. Then keep adding positions. You can't expect to learn everything over night. But this will give you a solid foundation to build on.

Mark John Sternal
www.stringsNthings.com
www.ultimateguitarteacher.com
www.MJSPublications.com
 
New Post
4/4/2005 6:37 AM
 
I was lurking about and came across this answer..
It helps a lot with the question I posted to Storm.
F/U question - when you say 1 position for each Key - what does this mean...

I am really slow on theory.
I understand: A - chord progression = A, D, E
Scale = A, D, E???
Is this correct?

Thanks........ Robert


cajun player - Am strat dlx from South La.
 
New Post
6/18/2005 9:23 AM
 
Even though you are playing the chords A/D/E you are still in the key of A. Even when the rhythm is on the D or E chord, you can still be playing an A scale because the notes compliment each other and eventually will resolve on the A chord or note.

Mark John Sternal
www.stringsNthings.com
www.ultimateguitarteacher.com
www.MJSPublications.com
 
Previous
 
Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunitycool leads in different keyscool leads in different keys


Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2020 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement