Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityI need WisedomI need Wisedom
Previous

Next
New Post
8/23/2004 3:43 PM

O.K. Im going to get a guitar sometime next week. I played a trombone when i was in grade school but that didnt work out. Just too bandish ya know. Well anyways i traded it in and now im getting a guitar. I wish to know what i should do. And what i shouldnt do that ill regret later. And one more thing im left handed. The guy at the store said i should just get a right handed guitar and save some money. But you can never trust those blood thirsty demonic salesmen. Should i do that or not?
Well thanks for the help.

For Reals,

ME

................................................Yes

New Post
8/23/2004 4:17 PM

I'm left-handed too (and play left handed), and was told the same thing. I have a feeling all lefties are told that when they first buy a guitar Its not entirely bad advice. Its a heck of alot easier and probably cheaper getting a good right handed guitar than a good left handed guitar. Its soooooooo frustrating when I go to a music store and not be able to play 999.9% of the guitars, and IF they do happen to have a lefty its always a lower end model. I decided to get a lefty guitar though because I was afraid I'd just never be able to pick with my right hand. It just felt way to weird. However ALOT of lefties go the right handed route, so its not necessarily a mistake if you go that route. I mean it can be done and is done alot. Its really your call. I chose to play left, while I don't actually regret it, there are days I kinda wish I could play righty cause I'd have a lot more choices of guitars. But then again nobody ever asks to borrow my guitar.

As too what you should do or shouldn't do, I'm not entirely sure what exactly you mean by that, but I will say IMO I don't think you should start out by buying a super expensive guitar with all the trimmings. But you shouldn't buy a 50$ piece of junk either. IMO a nice middle of road starter guitar. maybe a Mexican strat or something in the price range of 400 bucks or so. I'm not recommending anything just try out as many guitars you can and pick the one that sounds the best and is most comfortable for you. In time, after a few years or whatever, you can always upgrade to something better if you want.

Just my opinion

New Post
8/23/2004 4:42 PM

Jimi Hendrix was left handed. He took a right handed guitar and turned it upside-down to play left handed. He changed the order of the strings too so that the big E string was back on top. If I were left handed, I think I'd follow what he did, but I can't say for sure.

Go with what feels best and comfortable to you.

New Post
9/7/2004 1:06 PM

I'm left handed but play right handed and you might be surprised how many of us there are. Personally I must say that I have struggled with my right hand technique, for instance I can't play surf guitar with all that tremolo picking or mandolin style stuff but my strength is in my left hand where I have a very strong legato and I can play almost any chord shape quite easily. But you could also listen to other leftys who play right handed like Steve Morse who just might have the fastest and most accurate right hand technique
around. I would recommend that you get a right handed guitar.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityI need WisedomI need Wisedom

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement