Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityfinger to use when playing scalesfinger to use when playing scales
Previous

Next
New Post
7/20/2005 3:26 PM

I am confused and i wonder what finger to use when playing scales, my problem is with the second and third
finger, when skipping a fret i dont know what is more technicaly correct, i want to use proper technique.
can some one direct me to a document or explain to me
what is the correct finger to use, and what is the criteria for using a perticular finger.
or does it matter at all?

thanks

jax

New Post
7/25/2005 1:01 PM

Hi Jax,

Most of the notation in our lessons contain the suggested fingering to use, using the numbers 1-4 and 'T' for the occasional thumb.

If you have a question about a particular scale, you might ask it during one of our live lessons.

Steve Roeder
Riff Interactive

New Post
8/9/2005 5:08 PM

Like any major pentatonic, or any time you go
whole note whole note whole note,
should i go , index middle pinky or index ring pinky
or is it personal preference?

thanks
trax

jax

New Post
10/8/2005 10:23 PM

you should use each finger for a semi tone within four notes. basically each finger on a different fret exept for example you have something like this. say three notes each a whole tone apart
   --3--5--7--
in which case you use this fingering
     1 1 3
   --3--5--7--
it doesnt matter too much though if occasionally you brake the rules in a situation where its easier for you, but to use any other fingerings all the time is considered bad technique

New Post
10/8/2005 10:34 PM

well.. to explain the first part easier. if you going from say 5th fret to 8th starting with your index go to six with your middle, then 7th with your ring then 8th with your pinky.. all ways use this fingering... practise some chromatic chops to get a used to it. play this on each string
          -1234-
once your used to it just piss about playing it randomly and up and down so throw some -4321- -3241-'s and play it all over the fret board

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityfinger to use when playing scalesfinger to use when playing scales

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement