Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityHelp with keeping in tune..Help with keeping in tune..
Previous

Next
New Post
11/15/2002 2:38 PM

Hey world, I have an awful dilema. I can't get my strings to stay in tune, either while strumming hard or bending, they tend to fall out of tune. New strings didn't help.I figure it down to either I'm not stringing the strings correctly, or I need to replace my tuners. I don't really have to money to replace my tuners with locking tuners yet...so I ask, anyone have any tips on how to change strings the right way? Also, anyway have any other idea's as too my tuning problem, other than my two idea's? My guitar isn't expensive, but it wasn't cheap enough to be acting quite this way.
Thanks everyone.
Jalle

New Post
11/15/2002 4:33 PM

Do you have a trmelo? If so you might want to tighten the springs.

You might need to have it set up. A good repair man could adjust the intonation and neck. He could also adjust the tremelo if you have one. Don't know where you live but you should be able to get it setup for around $30 which should be cheaper than locking tuners.

If you think your stringing it wrong. Try and leave decent amout of string left to wind around the tuner. Something like four or five times.

Maybe that'll help a little.

Rusty

New Post
11/15/2002 8:31 PM

Thanks, it's got a fixed bridge. I think I may be stringing the strings haphasardly (sp?) to the point where they slip each time I strum...maybe the tuners are a bit poor quality, since I keep buying pretty cheap guitars. Do you know of a way to make sure I can string the strings in a good loop, so that each loop strings around just below the other? I seem to have a problem keep the string from tying around itself over and over again or ending up all over the string.
Thanks again :)
Jalle

New Post
11/16/2002 4:35 AM

It sounds like you know how to string it up. Try cutting some of the string off if thats whats bothering you. When I restring, I thread the string through the bridge up to the tuning key. I cut the string past the tuning peg leaving about 5 or 6 inches left to wind. Leaving too much string is better than not enough. If you end up cutting the string too short, it may start to slip when tuning. Especially on the unwound strings.

If your having a significant tuning problem I would bet it's something else. You can probably avoid buying new tuners if you let someone look at it.

Good Luck

New Post
11/16/2002 8:47 AM

Yeah, it sounds like getting it checked would cost less than replacing something that might not be the problem. And people keep telling me that even if I'm restringing a little off-kilter, it shouldn't cause such huge falling out of tune problems. I think I'll look into getting it checked. Thanks a lot for all the help :)

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityHelp with keeping in tune..Help with keeping in tune..

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement