Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityEarvana nutsEarvana nuts
Previous

Next
New Post
11/19/2002 9:56 AM

Does anyone have any experience with the compensated replacement nut by "Earvana". I have read about it and am thinking about putting one on my tele and later on my LP.

Thanks,
Chris

CB

New Post
4/16/2003 4:50 AM

I am in the process of building my electric right now and I was thinking about putting the earvana string nut on. I havent' been able to get any reviews on it. Any info you find out please pass along. I am writing this to get it to the top of the forum list.
icee

chris

New Post
4/16/2003 6:06 AM

I have Earvana nuts on my Strat and my Takamine acoustic. The Earvana nut is a great improvement to a guitar.

I had long been bothered by the fact that the guitar can't really be tuned to sound good for open chords AND barre chords, or even for all open chords--if you're in tune for a big open E, your open G is going to sound sour in the G and B string area. If you're in tune for G, your D is going to be off. I have gotten to the point where I hate trying to tune (or play) a standard-nutted guitar--it just CAN'T be tuned, and it always sounds off on some chord, no matter what other chords are in tune.

The Earvana fixes that, and makes your guitar finally actually tunable. E, G, D--they'll ALL be in tune. And so will barre chords up the neck. You'll be able to tune faster, too. And you can, with the Earvana, actually use the harmonics to tune, which doesn't really work soundly on a guitar with no compensation.

I can't overstate how much better the Earvana will make your guitar tune up. I ordered one just this morning for my new Line 6 Variax guitar.

David Stewart

New Post
4/17/2003 6:23 PM

It sounds like a nice product, but I guess this issue just never bothered me.

Ebony 2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard | Guild F4CE Acoustic | BOSS GT-6 | No Amp!

New Post
4/22/2003 9:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I just wonder why this concept hasn't taken off.

Here's a site that shows how to make your own compensated nut...I plan on building a corian compensated nut based on the instructions....http://mimf.com/nutcomp/

Also, Buzz Feiten has added much to the science of guitar building..check out his page at www.buzzfeiten.com. Have Heard and read only good things about Buzz's work...

I read ads about the fretwave system that adds wiggly frets to correct the imperfections in fret placement (can't remember the maker). I also think that Tom Scholz of Boston compensates his guitar with a chunk of fret wire (think I saw a picture of one of his LPs in a guitar Mag a couple months back, but no mention of this mod on the guitar).

Some folks swear by compensation--others say they don't hear a difference. Have any of us ever played a guitar (cheap or otherwise) that sounded really sour and couldn't be made to sound much, much better with new strings and proper bridge height and intonation? We sweat 60cycle hum and gold plated jack plugs...think we would worry more about tuning and intonation!!!

Thanks,
Chris

CB

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityEarvana nutsEarvana nuts

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2020 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement