Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityAbout tone..About tone..
Previous

Next
New Post
12/4/2002 7:02 PM

I've got a weird situation, not really a problem exactly..but..
I don't have the worlds greatest setup, I run an Epiphone SG special into a dinky little solid state amp. I find at high distortion that adding much midrange makes the sound kind of...AM radio-esque. I was wondering how the teachers here tend to get their metal/hard rock sound, eq wise and the like. Maybe through petals? Just trying to get an idea where my problem here is, maybe's it's just my amp...
Thanks guys. Sorry to be so broad, just looking for a few general idea's :)
Jalle

New Post
12/4/2002 7:03 PM

I meant pedals, by the by. :P

New Post
12/5/2002 11:33 AM

Akara

You have a few things going on here that effect your tone, but I think your amp is at the root of your tone. There are many factors, the preamp, the size of the speaker, being solid state. The AM sound you are reporting means there is to much midrange and you might need to boost the High and Low freq. some how. Maybe take your setup to a music store and try a different pedel (Korg, Digitech, ...) or even an EQ pedal and try boosting those frequencies.

Good luck!

Michael J

New Post
12/5/2002 5:42 PM

I've noticed that cheaper solid state amps give the mid-range frequencies a bit too much breathing room and choke back the bass too much :/
Oh well, at least I don't have to change tubes...although that's not really a hard task. Thanks for the input Mike :)
Jalle

New Post
12/7/2002 12:23 PM

Any time Jalle 8-)

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityAbout tone..About tone..

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement