Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunitywhat to studywhat to study
Previous

Next
New Post
4/3/2003 2:23 PM

Any opinions on what to practice/study to improve most efficiently. I don't know if that is worded correctly but I mean should I spend more time doing finger exercises or theory study or just jamming. I know you will say all 3 but what percentage of my time should be devoted to each. (Note I play guitar for personal enjoyment I don't have any musical aspirations as far as being in a band or anything like that.)

New Post
4/4/2003 11:30 AM

A good practice routine will include some core areas of study: Warmups, Chords/Rhythm Guitar, Single Notes/Improvisation, Sight Reading, Ear Training, Repertoire. Try not to focus exclusively on any one of these, paying attention to that inner voice telling you what you real need to work on.

Naming some guitarists/groups you enjoy would give me a better idea on how to breakdown percentages.

Rock On!
Storm S.

GuitarTeacher.com

New Post
4/7/2003 3:28 PM

Ack all that!!!! My main influences are Stevie ray vaughan, ac/dc, metallica, ozzy, zeppelin. I only have an hour a day or so to play/practice. I hate to waste it studying theory if its not super duper important. :-)

New Post
4/8/2003 6:54 AM

First of all, keep it fun! There's no sense making your hobby feel like a second job.

From what you said, keep your attention on building cool repetoire (songs you can play). Start of with some warmups to make the best use of the rest of your hour. Working on tunes will include working on leads and chords. Sightreading is less important for you, theory and eartraining only if you feel that you can't relate different parts of your playing to one another or one song to the next.

Rock On!
Storm S.

GuitarTeacher.com

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunitywhat to studywhat to study

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2020 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement