Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityHey all!Hey all!
Previous

Next
New Post
4/6/2003 1:05 PM

Hey all, it's me again with yet another one of my theory questions :P

Ok, I know Jimi was very fond of Dom 7 # 9th chords,
It seems to me that said chord contains both a major and minor 3rd...I know dom7th chords are usually major...but...

A.)Did I screw up on that? Does that chord really not have a major and minor 3rd? (It seems that the augmented 9th IS a minor third....but...I'm no music major..)

and

B.)Either which way, how is this chord used? As a major chord? minor chord? Both? Some other odd way?

Thanks! :)

Jalle

New Post
4/6/2003 1:38 PM

The "Hendrix chord" is a dominant chord with a #9.

R - 3 - 5 - b7 - #9

New Post
4/6/2003 9:26 PM

Ok, so...it's still considered major then?...
I mean, maybe a dom chord isn't considered major exactly...but it has a major 3rd which is why I'm saying that. Am I missing something here?
Jalle

New Post
4/7/2003 6:12 AM

The dominant chord (1, 3, 5, b7) is made from a major triad (1, 3, 5) so it's related more to the major chord family than it is to the minor chord family.

New Post
4/7/2003 9:27 AM

The use of maj3rd and b7 make this a dominant chord. You are correct - #9 and min3rd are the same note. In theory, because this is a dominant chord, it is more correct to name this as one of the 'altered' extension(b9, #9, b5 or #5).

We use the min3rd over dominant chords all the time - Minor Pentatonic, Blues scale, etc. The 7#9 chord has this minor/major flavor wrapped up in it.

My Funk Guitar series will have some cool voicings for this chord over the next couple of lessons.

Rock On!
Storm S.

GuitarTeacher.com

Previous

Next
HomeHomeTeachersTeachersCommunityCommunityHey all!Hey all!

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement