Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralRiff Interactiv...Riff Interactiv...Miss Them Cd’sMiss Them Cd’s
Previous

Next
New Post
11/9/2007 3:27 PM

I'm glad to know that you once liked our lessons anyway.

We certainly don't hate our customers and are only trying to improve our lessons. We appreciate genuine feedback instead of whiners. I'm not sure where you stand, but I'll follow up with these questions:

Specifically, do you not like the downloadable aspect of the new format or the licensing aspect of the new format?

I'm not sure what you mean by "heavily DRM laden". Is there a "lightly DRM laden" format that you recommend? We can certainly look into it.

The downloadable format seemed like a major improvement for the customers since it avoids shipping/handling charges. This is a huge benefit to non-US customers where the shipping/handling on top of the import charges can be much more than the cost of the lesson itself. Plus, it often takes weeks to arrive in non-US destinations *IF* it is not stopped in customs for random inspection, in which case it can take months.

The downloadable format also avoids swapping CDs every time you want to switch to a different lesson title. The new format will categorize the lessons and allow for bookmarking favorites. This also seemed like a major improvement for the customers.

Steve Roeder
Riff Interactive

New Post
3/11/2008 3:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ADMIN:SteveR on 09 November 2007

Specifically, do you not like the downloadable aspect of the new format or the licensing aspect of the new format?

I'm not sure what you mean by "heavily DRM laden". Is there a "lightly DRM laden" format that you recommend? We can certainly look into it.

The downloadable format also avoids swapping CDs every time you want to switch to a different lesson title. The new format will categorize the lessons and allow for bookmarking favorites. This also seemed like a major improvement for the customers.

Steve Roeder
Riff Interactive

At least with the CDs I could load a video separately. The video window in the new format is too small.

I'm surprised you are not familiar with other authorization schemes. Most offer challenge/response type systems.

All of my Native Instrument products allow 2 seperate installs.

My IK Multimedia products allow 5 authorizations.

You enter a serial # and they give you a code to enter to use their programs.

Then there is Cakewalk who show the greatest trust in their users. It's a serial number and an authorization and not tied into hardware.

I have 3 systems all with recording interfaces. Each one may go through hardware changes. When most of my software asks for a new authorization it's done in a timely fashion through a web page or in the software.

With the CDs I turned them into ISO images and kept them on the hard drive.

Maybe the challenge/response scheme may take too much out of your profits and may not be worth it.

Sometimes paranoia about your product being shared on the net may cost in sales long term. Izotope feared losing a large base of customers when they were going to use PACE authorization.

I love the download format. It's just frustrating to decide which computer I put it on first before sending an email for another copy.

It would be nice if the video screen is larger (or make it pop up to a larger screen). It would be nice if the tab was like most professional tab where you can see the notation.

Despite all of that, Riff Interactive is one of the better learning tools compared to such things like Lick Library and their stuff is the most illegally shared stuff out there.

MIM Tele
Washburn I64

New Post
3/17/2008 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kitekrazy on 11 March 2008
At least with the CDs I could load a video separately. The video window in the new format is too small.

When they are loaded in a separate window, the videos can be made "bigger" but they only become grainy and pixelated. The resolution won't change.

One benefit of the new downloadable format is that if we make a change to a lesson feature, the update can be redownloaded instead of manufacturing a new CD.

Quote:
I'm surprised you are not familiar with other authorization schemes. Most offer challenge/response type systems.

All of my Native Instrument products allow 2 seperate installs.

My IK Multimedia products allow 5 authorizations.

You enter a serial # and they give you a code to enter to use their programs.

Yes, we thought about the serial number route, but that would require typing in those long numbers. What we use now only requires typing in the order number. It just seemed easier. In the future, we would like to eliminate the need to enter the order number and base it on the email address only.

Quote:
I love the download format. It's just frustrating to decide which computer I put it on first before sending an email for another copy.

We could just allow 2 or 5 authorizations like you mention, but it's fairly rare that people need to decide which computer to install to. We can readdress that if necessary.

Quote:
It would be nice if the tab was like most professional tab where you can see the notation.

The software has the ability to display standard staff notation, but everytime we tried it people "freaked out". Maybe we will try again with some more advanced lessons in the future.

Quote:
Despite all of that, Riff Interactive is one of the better learning tools compared to such things like Lick Library and their stuff is the most illegally shared stuff out there.

Thanks for the input! It will be taken seriously.

Steve Roeder
Riff Interactive

New Post
3/17/2008 5:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ADMIN:SteveR on 17 March 2008

We could just allow 2 or 5 authorizations like you mention, but it's fairly rare that people need to decide which computer to install to. We can readdress that if necessary.

That also depends how you define "computer" and how sensitive the DRM is.

Changing a motherboard with a different chipset would be considered a new computer by some DRM schemes. (Microsoft)
Some can be sensitive even upgrading from a 160gb hard drive to a 250gb drive.
Computers and hardware are more affordable and some people change systems within 2 years.

Keep in mind that most companies allow 2 hassle free authorizations because laptops are becoming more powerful and portability is very popular.

I've never had a problem with asking for another RI download it's just the timeliness of waiting for an email.

You can still enlarge that video window a bit more without loss in quality.

It would also be nice if I can click anywhere in the tab and the fingering show up in the neck view. I usually have to slow it down to 50% just to see what fingers are used.

MIM Tele
Washburn I64

New Post
3/24/2008 3:43 PM

I agree with the CDs. I know when you order it takes some time to arrive, however, I have had nothing but problems with the downloads. I tried copying to a CD and it would not work on any other computer other than the one I downloaded it from> Strange but true.
I enjoy the lessons but not the headaches.

There is nothing like a Les Paul guitar.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralRiff Interactiv...Riff Interactiv...Miss Them Cd’sMiss Them Cd’s

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement