Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralEquipmentEquipmentWhats the difference in ampsWhats the difference in amps
Previous

Next
New Post
1/14/2004 5:17 AM

I just started playing and had a question about amps.

I was just wondering what the difference is between a bass amp and a guitar amp. I understand that you shouldn't play a bass using a guitar amp because you could blow the speaker but could you play guitar using a bass amp? What would the outcome be? Will playing a guitar on a bass amp harm the amp in any way?

I ask because I just picked up a used amp that I thought was a guitar amp turned out to be a bass amp (Peavey Basic 40)It sounds good with my bass, also good with my guitar but it seems to be missing something. If anyone has any info on this amp, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Learn to play, play to learn.

New Post
1/19/2004 5:06 AM

Don't know much about technicalities, but ...
As far as I've heard, playing guitar through a bass amp is worse (for the amp) than the other way around.

A bass amp is built to give more of the tone or frequency response you usually would like to get from a bass, I guess. But if it's old, I guess the difference is minor. Our bass player has a Marshall JCM800 bass amp, and apart from a couple of knobs, I guess the preamp and everything is more or less exactly the same.

But, apart from that, whatever sound cool, use it. If it's your bass amp or not, is hard to tell. Depends what exactly you feel is missing.

Les Paul Studio, SG '78, Jaguar, Strat, assorted fx, Marshall JCM2000

New Post
1/20/2004 10:19 AM

Thanks for the info Krisman. I have 2 practice guitar amps that sound fairly well, but also very small. The Peavey is a nice 40 watt amp with a 12 inch speaker. I think I may have to trade it in on a smaller bass amp and a smaller guitar amp, that way I can at least play both without any problems.

Learn to play, play to learn.

New Post
1/25/2004 6:49 AM

In a band I was in in Jr. High (Who knows how many years ago and I only played the drums back then) we came across a similar situation. I believe we found that the bass guitar would blow the guitar amp, but the guitar worked with the bass amp, it definitly had a different tone.

Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker|Mexican Made Squier Strat by Fender for Slide|3 Acoustics|Digitech RPX400 Modeling Processor/Effects|2 Marshal Amps
Rob

New Post
12/11/2004 1:26 PM

I play through both a guitar and bass amp at the same time. It makes for a really full chunky sound. It is awesome for hardcore and metal....

Previous

Next
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralEquipmentEquipmentWhats the difference in ampsWhats the difference in amps

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement