Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralEquipmentEquipmentSmall Hands - Any guitar suggestions?Small Hands - Any guitar suggestions?
Previous

Next
New Post
3/5/2004 1:43 PM

Hi guys. I am new to the guitar. My parents bought me a Fender Strat a few years ago, but I have yet to really learn how to play it. I have really small hands and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for me as to which guitars have narrower necks. I don't know if the Strat is considered to be a wider or narrower neck, but any info would help me out. Thanks!

New Post
4/12/2004 2:48 PM

Strat is considered average. They always come with a jumbo frets becuase that is when you get the best tone. Some guitars have extra jumbo like the kirk hammett ESP signature series. Some, few are smaller. Try the gibsons even if you dont like the style, they are easy to play. Or even charvels. Go to your local guitar center, play everything. Even if you can play, just start grabbing differnt guitars.

MJ

New Post
6/12/2004 7:48 PM

Besides haveing unbelievable raw necks, ernie ball's axis is thinner than the strat and the guitar sounds amazing. In fact, my axis is on the small side of acceptable for me. But if you have small hands, it might be just right. Of course, an axis will run you $1000 or more.

Clark

New Post
6/12/2004 7:56 PM

Here is a good page at Warmoth (an awesome company) about different necks:

http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/guitarneck.htm

1 5/8" is the usual size of a strat neck (measured at the nut). My axis is listed as having a 1 5/8" neck, but when I measured it, it is just slightly less than that.

Here is a suggestion: go to a music store and play a bunch of guitars. the store will certainly have a small ruler or set of calipers to measure the neck at the nut.

Playability and comfort are also influenced by the shape of the back of the neck. Some people, like Clapton, like big fat baseball bat like necks called Boatnecks. Some shredders like tiny thin necks, like Ibanez Wizard necks.

Also, the radius of the fingerboard (how flat or curved the finger board is) affects playability.

So do the frets (big, small, tall, flat, Gibson-like jumbos or super tall Fenders) and so does the action (high and ringing like SRV's setup or low and slippery).

You just need to go to the store, play lots of different guitars and find the ones you like and the ones you dont. Then ask the guitar guy if he can show you what the difference between the two is so that you know what you need to look for.

Hope that helps. Also, poke around the Warmoth site for more on different factors about a neck.

Clark

New Post
9/10/2004 6:19 PM

if you go to music123.com (ive found theyve got the lowest prices and good quality merchendice) and search around with "peewee" "mini" or "child" guitars, im sure you could find a decent looking and playing guitar. (for the record strat puts out a mini, which plays alot like a standard "throwaway" strat... but smaller.) i personally have to effection for fenders in general.

--mike

Previous

Next
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralEquipmentEquipmentSmall Hands - Any guitar suggestions?Small Hands - Any guitar suggestions?

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement