Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralEquipmentEquipmentSmall Hands - Any guitar suggestions?Small Hands - Any guitar suggestions?
Previous

Next
New Post
5/16/2008 10:27 PM

Hey guys, long time. I just got back into playing guitar, and so I'm totally absorbing everything guitar right now.

As happy as I am with my Schecter C-1 Plus, I'm always looking for another guitar; I don't know why. Maybe it comes with being a guitarist, albeit a beginner.

Anywho, I was just looking around at different guitar necks and I found an interesting page. We all know that Ibanez necks are some of the thinnest, flattest necks out there, but here's some additional info about them, specification-wise. Note: this page was last updated in August of 2006, so some of this information might be out of date. Also, the Wizard "I" neck (as opposed to Wizard II) is discontinued, I think. Also, keep in mind that as thin as these necks are, they are all 25 1/2" scale.

I think the Wizard II necks are the current thinnest in the Ibanez line.

New Post
5/28/2008 12:26 PM

On the topic of guitar recommendations, I'd like to mention my Seagull Entourage Guitar (made by Godin) for those looking for a quality acoustic guitar for smaller hands. The scale length is shorter (24.84") and the nut width is fairly average (halfway between 1 11/16" and 1 3/4"). What makes it so much easier to play is the really small circumference of the neck, which is especially good if you like to dangle your thumb over the neck like I do. I think this aspect of guitar necks is often overlooked.

As stated before, these problems seem to go away with sufficient practice and experimentation. For example, when I first came upon the F major 7th chord (which involves using the thumb to fret the low E string on the first fret), I had major difficulty doing it without muting the high E string because my palm kept touching it. However, after a while I found that adjusting my thumb in the right way gave the chord the right sound and it doesn't cause me a lot of trouble anymore.

New Post
5/29/2008 7:26 AM

Someone earlier had asked what gauge strings. I found it easier to learn on .009s (for obvious reasons) but I now use .010s (tone is better, playability almost the same).

One more; My Alvarez Yairi DY45 from 1986 plays very well in my opinion.

New Post
7/4/2008 6:31 PM

I just thought I'd bring this thread back up to ask a question...What age do hands stop growing? Comparing the hands of guys my age (I'm 17) to senior citizens, it seems like the old geezers have much bigger hands on average than us young'uns. So my question is...What age do hands normally stop growing at? How much more (if at all) should one's hands grow from the age of 17 to old geezerhood?

I've been kind of wondering since I've heard that the hands are the last thing to stop growing, although I have no gauge on how accurate that particular statement is.

New Post
7/8/2008 10:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Calculon on 04 July 2008
I just thought I'd bring this thread back up to ask a question...What age do hands stop growing? Comparing the hands of guys my age (I'm 17) to senior citizens, it seems like the old geezers have much bigger hands on average than us young'uns. So my question is...What age do hands normally stop growing at? How much more (if at all) should one's hands grow from the age of 17 to old geezerhood?

I've been kind of wondering since I've heard that the hands are the last thing to stop growing, although I have no gauge on how accurate that particular statement is.

Your growth will probably start tapering off within a couple of years. A lot of the pubescent growth spurt is bone growth.

For old people, I don't think it's so much that their hands keep growing for 70 years. I'm not sure about the hands specifically, but I know the flesh of certain body parts like the nose keeps growing. Find a pic of your grampa when he was a young 21 year old stud, and look at him now. His nose now at 70 is huge. The nose doesn't have any bones, so it's not bone growth, it's the flesh.

For the hands, I can't imagine a 70 year old's bones are still growing. They're probably even taking multi vitamins just to keep whatever calcium they have left in their bones! I'd guess that they already had average to slightly large hands in their youth, but fluid retention and/or continued flesh growth make the hands look even larger in old age. It's different for everybody though. And it's probably more so in men than women. My grandma (RIP) had small, bony hands. My stepdad's dad had big baseball mitt hands.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralEquipmentEquipmentSmall Hands - Any guitar suggestions?Small Hands - Any guitar suggestions?

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement