Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralEquipmentEquipmentDoes String Type Effect Ease Of PlayDoes String Type Effect Ease Of Play
Previous

Next
New Post
3/28/2004 7:41 AM

just starting out so i thought i would ask. does the type of string used on an electric guitar effect the ease of play. are smaller strings easier to play the the larger ones? i see alot of variation in the strings available,size,construction,etc. what is the best for just starting out

New Post
3/28/2004 1:34 PM

Thicker strings are harder to play, but if you only play thin ones, you will have a hard time transitioning later. I think its good to have an electric with thin strings and an inexpensive acoustic with thicker strings so you can practice both ways. You get a different tone from the strings you use. And if you alter the string size on your guitar, you can damage the nut and not be able to go back to thinner strings without your guitar having problems staying in tune.

Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker|Mexican Made Squier Strat by Fender for Slide|3 Acoustics|Digitech RPX400 Modeling Processor/Effects|2 Marshal Amps
Rob

New Post
3/28/2004 4:34 PM

how does a certain size string damage the nut?

New Post
3/30/2004 12:02 PM

When you use strings with a wider diameter they alter the size of the indents in the nut. Then thinner strings can move too much.

Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker|Mexican Made Squier Strat by Fender for Slide|3 Acoustics|Digitech RPX400 Modeling Processor/Effects|2 Marshal Amps
Rob

Previous

Next
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralEquipmentEquipmentDoes String Type Effect Ease Of PlayDoes String Type Effect Ease Of Play

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement