Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralEquipmentEquipmentAction to high on my guitarAction to high on my guitar
Previous

Next
New Post
7/1/2004 5:14 AM

Is there any way to lower the action on an acoustic Gibson Epiphone. I want to give the guitar to a young family member but the action is high for him to play. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Mister Tone Deaf Bob

New Post
7/17/2004 4:02 PM

Hi Bob,

I had nearly the exact same problem with a Martin/Sigma acoustic guitar. I got the guitar for a great price at a fundraiser auction thinking it might be nice as a 'beater' guitar or one for my kids to learn on. Unfortunately, the action was so high that it was unplayable for anyone without extremely strong hands.

I took it to a local luthier who also offers repair services. I had them install a new bone saddle, perform a setup (which sets the action, intonation, etc), and install new strings.

Quite honestly, the results are stunning. The action is low and smooth -- yet without any hint of fret buzz, the intonation is perfect, and the bone saddle dramatically improved the sound. It is like having a new guitar. In fact, it has gone from collecting dust to being one that I use fairly frequently.

The whole bill for this work was around $75 (before tax) and was money well spent, in my opinion.

Regards,

John
Columbus, Ohio

New Post
1/10/2005 11:26 AM

You can adjust the truss rod with an allen wrench ,if equiped . Look in the sound hole at the end of the neck.
       (lossen your strings a little first)

Previous

Next
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralEquipmentEquipmentAction to high on my guitarAction to high on my guitar

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement