Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralEquipmentEquipmentSantana´s soundSantana´s sound
Previous

Next
New Post
11/26/2002 9:38 AM

I own an Epiphone Les Paul (Custom Flame Top) and a 120 watt amp (CRATE GFX-212T). I would like to know what kind of effect or other equipment can I buy to get a sound like Santana´s guitar. Specially that long sustain like in the song named Europe.

lalu

New Post
11/26/2002 2:52 PM

Try an Ibenez TS-9 Tube Screamer. Or a TS-808. Ive rad that advise on another board(Les Paul Forum) These can be on the expensive side($50-$150 on ebay)

Remember:Try b4 you BUY!
Chad

This space for rent.

New Post
11/28/2002 12:47 AM

hi, anyway the best way to achieve carlos santana sound is more expensive : sell your amp and buy a mesa boogie (mesa IS santana sound)one, take a all tube 20/30 watt max to make the power amp "sing" when you play at DECENT volume, and the nice sustain will be here :-)),coming from THE POWER AMP
bye
stef
----------------
www.herbuel.fr.st

New Post
12/19/2002 3:02 AM

If you have heard the new Santana album Shamun, he has dumped his mesa boogie amps and is now playing the awesome Dumble Overdrive special 100 watt head, through a different company's 4 by 12 cabinet, the cones in the speakers are mad of hemp, thats right, hemp. The new issue of Guitar Player that has Carlos on the cover, has a nice interview with Carlos and why he dumped the Mesa Boggie for the Dumble. He said that the Mesa had to be played very loud to get the best sound he was after. The Dumble he could achieve that sound at any volume. Too bad the Dumbles are few and far between. Seen a used one on e-bay and the bids were at $10,000 and the seller pulled the sell because it wasn't what he wanted to part with it for. I have heard that Alexander Dumble is old and only makes a handfull of his amps a year. These amps can't be rocket science. Surely some amp company will nail that sound at a reasonable price. A friend of mine has a friend that has one and they took the cover off to see what electronics were used, guess what, the entire board was epoxied so no one could copy his design. The best guitar player play through a Dumble, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Stevie Ray Vaughn played through one and now Santana. He said in the article that he just fell in love with the tone the first time he used one, and now owns four of them.
I love this qoute by Carlos Santana in the new Guitar Player.
"Just as Jesus created wine from water, we humans are capable of transmuting emotion into music."

Mikey

New Post
12/22/2002 9:04 AM

hi paychekk
you're right but i think lenam was searching about "famous" santana's sound and in fact it's mesa boogie...but howard dumble are the best amp i've ever heard....i try to emulate this sound with my vg 88
(based on "last nite",the live record of larry carlton where he has here a great sound !) in my video cover of larry carlton in my web site (www.herbuel.fr.st)....
i think that's the only way, try to emulate because find this amp is impossible.
(it seems that eric johnson plays a "overdrive special" too, but i'm not sure, have to look at his video lesson to be sure)..
bye
stef
----------------
www.herbuel.fr.st

Previous

Next
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralEquipmentEquipmentSantana´s soundSantana´s sound

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement