Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralHang-OutHang-OutMidi pickups on electric guitarsMidi pickups on electric guitars
Previous

Next
New Post
3/22/2008 12:28 PM

Hi Yawl! (I'm not southern) Just wondering if some of you good musos out there, Dabbled with guitar to Midi interfaces. Roland seems to be the leader in the field. However there's a couple other players that have tried and have not risen to the challenge. "Shadow" seems to be one of them.This is not an opinion but a reflection of reading forum reviews. when the date 1991 comes up...there must've been improvements.
I'm not prepared to drop $2k on a starter setup...
Ebay has Roland GK1 and GK2 gear and modules...yup I read up alot on it...they say it tracks well...but buyer beware!!!

What are your thoughts? I'm looking into getting introduced to this...you know...a nice sultry Pink Floyd SAX solo...
Or Violin part on "Dust in the wind" that type of stuff.

I welcome any input and value your opinions.
Thanks for your time..
Wowimucoco

Proud member of the "World Wide Music Collaboration consortium"

New Post
4/2/2008 4:24 PM

Guitar based midi is ok at best. To get the most out of midi you need a keyboard. If you do not play keyboard, all you need to learn is a few chords.

Try a midi keyboard.

New Post
4/8/2008 6:16 AM

I have a Roland GR20 with the GK3 pickup, and would recommend it for ease of use, ease of installation (pickup to guitar) and tracking speed. You no longer need a keyboard to get reliable, fast-tracking MIDI.

As for sounds: The GR20 comes with a good selection of very realistic samples, including acoustic piano,Hammond B3, a lot of exotic instruments like sitar, and a very convincing alto sax. The tenor sax sounds artificial, but the alto is amazing. Don't take my word for it: Go to the Roland Site and listen to the demo.http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?objectId=592&ParentId=53

New Post
4/10/2008 6:48 AM

I bought a Roland GR30 and GK pickup bundle on Ebay for $300. The best guitar gear money I ever spent. The GK was a little tricky to get mounted and adjusted just right, and there are certain guitars that don't adapt well to the GK. The guy who sold it said he couldn't use it because it didn't fit any of his guitars. I put it on a Squire standard stratocaster and it works great. You can blend the sound of the regular pickups with the midi synth, but I usually don't bother. There's too much sonic landscape to explore with the synth. If you want to see what I've done with it check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwGb2Z7KQfY

Previous

Next
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralHang-OutHang-OutMidi pickups on electric guitarsMidi pickups on electric guitars

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement