Register   Login
  Browse    Private Lessons    Forum
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralHang-OutHang-Outhow the hell do you play the guitarhow the hell do you play the guitar
Previous

Next
New Post
12/1/2005 1:50 PM

i have tryed soo many times to play the guitar but i can never get it!!

Lets get this party started right NOW!

New Post
12/1/2005 1:52 PM

well i'm afraid of them so hahahahahaha

sunnpop wat?

New Post
12/2/2005 3:29 PM

I noticed lots of views on your post but no replies
first off...no use of %^%$#*& or a moderator may caution you..your question probably got a lot of views cos of your name; rockchick?? lol
anyway,,, first learn how to make one note sound excellent, no buzz,brilliant sounding not dampened or muted..try this on the low E string up to the 12 fret
Learn the names of the notes.
Repeat on the second string from top of guitar; the A string. And then repeat on the 3rd string which is the D string.
Use your index finger to play the note.
This should keep you busy for a while!!
Practise is the ONLY way to actually PLAY the guitar.
When you can play one note that sounds great you are well on your way. Good Luck!

6 strings..24 frets..so little time....

New Post
12/5/2005 2:35 PM

I agree with picking a single note and playing it until it is clear. You'll need to build calluses on your fingers. I'd suggest to try to get a clear note with all of your fingers. Pinkies are the hardest because they are the weakest. Start with your index finger, when it hurts too much, switch to your middle finger, etc...

Also choose a single simple chord like an A major, get the right fingering position and strum the strings slowly. Make sure each note rings out clearly. It takes a couple of days to get the fingering down and the notes clean. Select a D major cord next and get it down.

The big challange is to go from the A to the D cord and back to A making sure the fingering is correct and that all the notes are clean. The goal is to get to a point where you don't use your brain anymore to change chords. It becomes an autonomic response.

It takes time and effort to get started. Patience is key. You have to practice the simple things until you get them down solid, then you use that as a base to build on. Don't feel bad if you have to go back to the basics. If you try to build a brick wall with a bad foundation, it will fall. Build a good foundation and you can create any type of wall you want to build.

Tampa Doug
Where it's too hot to handle

New Post
12/5/2005 2:50 PM

Also, another important point...

PICKING

Get used to always picking up and then down then back up again. Don't get in the habit of always picking down or always picking up on the string. (strumming is okay is whatever direction sounds best, but when it comes to individual notes, alternate up and down)

Playing guitar takes two hands, most people will always give advise on the hand that is on the fretboard. I recently found out that some of my dead notes were not because of the finger on the fretboard, but a poor concept of proper picking. I went back to the basics and about doubled my speed.

Tampa Doug
Where it's too hot to handle

Previous

Next
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralHang-OutHang-Outhow the hell do you play the guitarhow the hell do you play the guitar

Support    About Us    Join the Mailing List    Teachers Wanted
Copyright (c) 2019 Riff Interactive   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement